Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Goal Setting

Had a pleasant experience last week when I officially became the 'biggest loser' at my work-site. Now normally, that would not be a good thing, but I entered a contest at work to see who could lose the most weight in a specific length of time. (Same idea as the TV show, but not as drastic and no personal trainer!) For me, the competition was just the spark I needed to get my butt in gear (quite literally, if the truth be told!) and do something about the weight that has been creeping on over the years.

I learned something valuable in this whole 'exercise' (pardon the pun...) and that was the important of setting goals. Bob has often quoted that we should "Set a goal so big that if you achieved it it would blow your mind." (W. Clement Stone) Guess I must have been listening to that, cause set myself a big goal for down the line. Lots of little signposts along the way and quickly approaching the first one, so that's really cool. (My ultimate goal? A size 8, which was what I was after my first baby.)


All of us have - or at least we should have - goals that we set for ourselves. Goals at work, goals at home, goals for our personal development. Do you purposely set those goals low so that you know you can achieve them? Do you set them at all? Or do you shoot for the stars? Many people will tell you to be realistic and don't set yourself up for failure. But what if you succeed? What then? wow... what could we achieve if we allowed ourselves the luxury of just believing in ourselves?

So, my challenge to you (and me!) is to set that goal. Make it big, really big and amazing. Find your personal motivation and make sure it's close at hand for those so-so days. Don't let anyone dissuade you or distract you.

" If you shoot for the stars and hit the moon, it's OK. But you've got to shoot for something. A lot of people don't even shoot." (Confucius)

No comments: