Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Death and Taxes

Spent the last couple evenings getting things together and done so that I can do my taxes... definitely not the most fun way to spend one's evenings, but a necessary evil. Guess it goes back to that old adage about the only sure thing in life is death and taxes. But about done and I'll look it over with a fresh set of eyes tomorrow and that's done.

It made me think of why we procrastinate and put off those lousy tasks until we absolutely have to do them. Last year I swore that I would get my act together and have the receipts totaled at least every month. What do they say about the best laid plans? (... the best laid plans of mice and men are about equal... or go astray, depending upon who you talk to!)

I'd like to think that I'm not the only one who puts off things, maybe hoping that they'll somehow go away or get done on their own. My only character flaw (okay, one of several dozen...) but I'm working on that. In the meantime, think I'll go and have a muffin - oh made a new recipe the other day and it got three thumbs up from Bob (after his 3rd or possibly 4th one). Enjoy!

Three Thumbs Up Strawberry Muffins

  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup yogurt
  • 1 beaten egg
Mix together and allow to sit for a few minutes. Then add
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup white flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Mix together, then gently fold in
  • 1 cup chopped strawberries.
Spoon into greased muffin tins. Top with
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup chopped nuts
Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes if fresh berries, an additional 5 minutes if frozen.

No comments: