Sunday, March 16, 2008

Joined the 21st Century?

After a lot of nagging (mostly from my kids) I have, as they put it, finally joined the 21st century and got myself on Facebook. I have to admit it was kind of fun, but wow can you ever burn up the time doing that! But hey, maybe got them off my back for a while!

I have come to find out that is what happens with technology. As we seek to master it, we spend more and more time and in the end I really wonder who has become the master. I started out doing web design for fun, so I could design my own webpage. But as I wanted to do more, found out that I had to learn how to code in html because the templates just wouldn't cut it. Then had to take courses to learn how to do that better. Then more courses and more time and... well, I think you get the picture. Somehow this little obsession has started a business. Who'd have thunk it? (the picture is me at age 4 trying to master another bit of technology - reading!)

Perhaps it's just my obsessive nature - the desire to understand every little bit of whatever it is I happen to be working on. (Many have called me anal retentive, but that's their problem!) Perhaps that is why I chose to work in science? I tend to think so. It wasn't an accident, that's for sure. Think it even rubbed off on my kids...

So, as I seek to master (well at least not totally fall on my Face...book) I'm having a lot of fun. Who knows, maybe I'll even get after that cookbook I've been meaning to write.... With that, here's another favourite recipe from my childhood.

Washington Pudding

1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
Combine in a heavy saucepan with a tight cover.

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 cup raisins
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
Mix and make a batter. Drop by spoonfuls into hot brown sugar sauce. Bake at 325 for 35 minutes. Serve hot. Especially good with cream or condensed milk as topping.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

Irene

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG I miss that pudding!!

Irene said...

well, it's simple enough, you can make some tonight! *smile...