Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A bit too much excitement!


I decided I needed to take a road trip so made the Easter weekend an extra long weekend and drove out to Vancouver. All in all a wonderful weekend. I got to visit my son, Alex, and his girlfriend, Ally and see their place and had to say I was pleasantly surprised with it! We then wandered about Granville Island and I decided that was definitely one of my fun things - and must do things - to do while there.

Had a great visit with my cousin Brenda and her husband Jack as well. We spent a lot of time reminiscing about our time growing up and sharing all the things that have happened in between. Funny how the years melt away so easily and you can again fall into those fun times like a day has not passed. Got to do that again soon as well - but think that somehow I volunteered to help make perogies next time!

Also got to spend time with my aunty Eva. Made me grateful to have such a giving and fun person in my life. She joined us on our Granville Island jaunt and we spent a few evenings watching hockey - which has become her favourite winter pastime - and I explained curling as we watched a game as well. But the most fun was working alongside her to prepare our Easter dinner. But I have to say, I can't hold a candle to her apple pies! (I loved this picture - Eva said she was holding up the wrong fingers...!)

Collected a whole bunch of Eva's recipes while I was there. You'll hear more about that and the new venture I'll be working on in the next few weeks. Needless to say, the "Ideaman" has lived up to his name! Stay tuned!

The entire weekend would have been perfect - except for the drive home. Hit snow and got stranded and had to get towed out, but... since no one was hurt - even my beloved blue pony... all's well. I'm just grateful that I wasn't driving at the time!

With all this, had to share one recipe I found.

Berry Tartlets

1 cup ground shortbread cookies
3 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon egg white
Press into tart tins. Bake 8-10 minutes at 375. When cool but still warm, turn over and tap gently to remove. Let cool.

8 oz mascarpone cheese or cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoon confectioners sugar
lemon zest
Mix and chill. Place in cooled tart shell. Top with fresh berries. Makes 4 - 4 inch or 6 - 3 inch tarts.

That sounded so good... and then I thought what about ladyfingers which had been soaked in espresso... would taste like tiramasu... oh... yum...

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.” Douglas Adams

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG I love that pic of Aunty Eva!